I had a great time reading and visiting w/folks in Oklahoma last week. I read at Oklahoma City University on Wednesday eve. (Day of the Dead - a propos for Things Come On) and at Univ. of Tulsa on Thursday. Here is an account of the latter reading by my co-reader, Sheila Black, who read some pretty swell poems of her own - some inspired by things said by her son, who suffers from schizophrenia.
The students at Tulsa were great, too - understood Things Come On better than I do, as I've told several folks since. Great close readers. My host, Grant Jenkins, gave me a wonderful tour of Tulsa, including Ron Padgett's childhood home, the (former) Greenwood neighborhood (where an entire community was massacred), the art-deco disneyland of the Boston St. Methodist Church, and the kitch paradise of Oral Roberts.
Literarisches Events (in and around Lawrence KS)
- SOMMER BROWNING, NOAH ELI GORDON & JUSTIN RUNGE. Lawrence. Sunday, April 13, 2014, 5:00 p.m. (preceded by open mic). Eighth Street Taproom (x New Hampshire).
- JOSEPH HARRINGTON & ISRAEL WASSERSTEIN. Lawrence. Thursday, April 27, 7:00 p.m. Raven Bookstore, 6 E. 7th St.
- CRYSTAL BOSON, NATHAN HOKS, & ROGER REEVES. Lawrence. Sunday, May 4, 2014, 5:00 p.m. (preceded by open mic). Eighth Street Taproom (x New Hampshire).
- TIM LANTZ, & al. Lawrence. Thursday, August 28, 7:00 p.m. Raven Bookstore, 6 E. 7th St.
- CALEB PUCKETT, & al. Lawrence. Thursday, October 23, 7:00 p.m., Raven Bookstore, 6 E. 7th St.
- KRISTIN LOCKRIDGE, & al. Lawrence. Thursday, December 4, 7:00 p.m., Raven Bookstore, 6 E. 7th St.