I had a great time reading and visiting w/folks in Oklahoma last week. I read at Oklahoma City University on Wednesday eve. (Day of the Dead - a propos for Things Come On) and at Univ. of Tulsa on Thursday. Here is an account of the latter reading by my co-reader, Sheila Black, who read some pretty swell poems of her own - some inspired by things said by her son, who suffers from schizophrenia.
The students at Tulsa were great, too - understood Things Come On better than I do, as I've told several folks since. Great close readers. My host, Grant Jenkins, gave me a wonderful tour of Tulsa, including Ron Padgett's childhood home, the (former) Greenwood neighborhood (where an entire community was massacred), the art-deco disneyland of the Boston St. Methodist Church, and the kitch paradise of Oral Roberts.
Literarisches Events (in and around Lawrence KS)
- ARE THERE REALLY NO EVENTS INVOLVING EXPERIMENTAL AND INNOVATIVE WRITING IN THE KC/LAWRENCE AREA UNTIL MARCH?
- MARIA DAMON. Lawrence. Presentation, Wed. March 5; Talk, Thurs., March 6, 2014. KU Campus. Details forthcoming. FREE.
- HEIDI LYNN STAPLES, TIM LANTZ, & RAUN KLASSNIK. Lawrence. Sunday, March 9, 2014, 5:00 p.m. (preceded by open mic). Eighth Street Taproom (x New Hampshire).
- SOMMER BROWNING & NOAH ELI GORDON. Lawrence. Sunday, April 13, 2014, 5:00 p.m. (preceded by open mic). Eighth Street Taproom (x New Hampshire).
- CRYSTAL BOSON, NATHAN HOKS, & ROGER REEVES. Lawrence. Sunday, May 4, 2014, 5:00 p.m. (preceded by open mic). Eighth Street Taproom (x New Hampshire).