Literarisches Events (in and around Lawrence KS)
- SOMMER BROWNING, NOAH ELI GORDON & JUSTIN RUNGE. Lawrence. Sunday, April 13, 2014, 5:00 p.m. (preceded by open mic). Eighth Street Taproom (x New Hampshire).
- JOSEPH HARRINGTON & ISRAEL WASSERSTEIN. Lawrence. Thursday, April 27, 7:00 p.m. Raven Bookstore, 6 E. 7th St.
- CRYSTAL BOSON, NATHAN HOKS, & ROGER REEVES. Lawrence. Sunday, May 4, 2014, 5:00 p.m. (preceded by open mic). Eighth Street Taproom (x New Hampshire).
- TIM LANTZ, & al. Lawrence. Thursday, August 28, 7:00 p.m. Raven Bookstore, 6 E. 7th St.
- CALEB PUCKETT, & al. Lawrence. Thursday, October 23, 7:00 p.m., Raven Bookstore, 6 E. 7th St.
- KRISTIN LOCKRIDGE, & al. Lawrence. Thursday, December 4, 7:00 p.m., Raven Bookstore, 6 E. 7th St.
Monday, August 3, 2009
That sounds like "oil and water" to a lot of people. And my contribution in the new Poetry and Cultural Studies: A Reader (U. of Illinois) explains why. But, really, this project, from Maria Damon and Ira Livingston, has been long anticipated b/c it will fill an enormous gap in the literature - esp. for the classroom. As the table of contents shows, they include everyone from Wordsworth to Frankfurt to Today, giving "cultural studies" a broad purview - and including lots of definitions of poetry in the process. Hopefully this book will make more younger scholars realize that, yes, poetry is a part of the same cultural-historical narrative that fiction critics have been talking about lo these many years.