Is it just my imagination, or is the soi-dit avant-garde of today replicating all the cliches?
- artist as heroic, suffering outsider
- military metaphors
- epater les bourgeois (Fr., "freak the squares")
- fetishization of the new
- imagining they're doing something new
- liberal artistic use of bodily fluids
- apolitical politics (a.k.a., "speaking out")
- political metaphors
- anti-academism (Lat., "too cool for school" - advanced degrees notwithstanding)
- creeping academization & institutionalization (in it, but not of it, of course)
- radical formal claims
- drawing within the old generic lines anyway
Or, said another way, how elderly am I, really? I'm not avant or arriere, I just run alongside, nipping everyone's heels. And chasing my tail. And occasionally licking my balls. Being invisible has its advantages.
July submissions - Pleiades: http://www.pleiadesmag.com/submit/ I-70 Review: https://www.facebook.com/I-70-Review-210299072332194/ https://entropymag.org/category/where-to-su...
16 hours ago